Ahhh sweets. The kryptonite to my superman. My Achilles’ heel. Now matter how healthy I try to be, I crave it. Anyone who has an XX chromosome (and a lotta XYers too) has got to have that deep, dark secret love of sugar locked up in there somewhere. Whether it’s chocolate, cookies & cake, candy or ice cream– everyone has a guilty dessert pleasure. While I am no stranger to indulging once in a while, it takes a lot to not scarf chocolate bars on a daily basis in my house. So whether you are on a diet, trying to cut down on sugar, or just plain old sick of being constantly mind controlled by a pint of ice cream, here are my tried-and-true tricks for satisfying that sweet tooth craving without actually giving in to your vice:
1. If you are craving Cookie Dough, try:
Mashing a ripe banana, Peanut Butter and Oatmeal in a bowl. You can even add in some cacao nibs for a chocolate chip vibe.
2. If you are craving Cookies, try:
You can either whip up easy sugarless/flourless cookies with a cup of nut butter and an egg in your toaster oven, or you can pick up a bag of Go Raw’s sprouted cookies at your local health food store (or Amazon.com). They are SO DELISH and come in a variety of flavors like ginger snap, chocolate crunch, spiced chai. lemon and carrot cake and are made only from a base of sprouted sesame seeds and dates for sweetness.
3. If you are craving Apple Pie, try:
Baking a cored apple with cinnamon, chopped walnuts and dates inside for about 20 minutes at 375°F. You can drizzle with honey (or mix the nuts with a little coconut palm sugar) too if you need additional sweetness. OR, try making a mini apple crisp: toss a chopped apple with cinnamon in a small bowl, then top with about 1 TB of oats, coconut palm sugar and coconut oil mashed together. Bake this one for only 15 minutes.
4. If you are craving a Chocolate Bar, try:
Mixing equal parts coconut oil with raw cacao powder and add just enough maple syrup (or stevia) to sweeten to your liking, then pop the tray in the freezer to harden. OR, you can try making our recipe for Chocolate Almond Freezer Fudge. It is divine!
5. If you are craving a Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup, try:
Using either the 3-ingredient chocolate bar or freezer fudge recipes listed above, pour a bit of the liquidy chocolate mixture in a cupcake liner. Harden in freezer for a few minutes, then add a dollop of peanut butter and top with more melted chocolate. Pop in fridge or freezer to let set completely. Nom nom nom.
6. If you are craving Brownies or Chocolate Cake, try:
This delicious vegan, gluten free sweet potato brownie recipe. It’s so rich, you will totally feel guilty enjoying it this much!
7. If you are craving Pudding, try:
One of our cult fav recipes for Chocolate Chia Seed Pudding. If you prefer vanilla, just omit the cacao powder and stir in some fresh vanilla beans (or pure vanilla extract).
8. If you are craving Cheesecake, try:
Equal parts vanilla yogurt and plain cream cheese topped with Granola (and/or strawberries) on top. Oh YES.
9. If you are craving Sour Patch Kids, try:
This really cool recipe for homemade Sour Watermelon Gummies and Sour Pomegranate Gummies, or these cool and colorful Gum Drops (just sub honey or stevia for the sugar!).You could always also have some fresh berries and other chopped fruit mixed with freshly squeezed lemon and grapefruit juice for the same sour effect.
10. If you are craving a Mochachino drink, try:
A cup of coffee with extra milk, cinnamon and raw cacao powder mixed in. (If iced, blend with the ice!) and Top with a nice dollop of fresh coconut cream.
11. If you are craving a Chocolate Milkshake, try:
A Chocolate Hemp Seed Protein Shake. Blend it with coconut milk for extra thick ‘n’ creaminess!
12. If you are craving Ice Cream, try:
Banana Blender Ice Cream (literally putting frozen bananas in a blender or food processor with your favorite flavors and toppings, then processing until creamy). Amazon has a great Yonanas maker for this very reason! You can also make a thicker Fresh Fruit Almond Milk Smoothie, so that you still have the spooning-something-icey-and-creamy-into-your-mouth experience.
14. Chocolate Covered Pretzels, try: Rice cakes topped with almond butter/ raw cacao powder mixed together and a sprinkle of Himalayan sea salt, or Salted Roasted Almonds covered in the 3-ingredient chocolate recipe mentioned above.
15. Anything Nutella, try: In theory it’s the sugar that kills your diet re: nutella. So just try making your own, healthier Chocolate Hazelnut Spread at home sweetened with dates (healthiest), honey or stevia. Try this awesome recipe, it really is SO GOOD!
So there you have it, my go-to recipes for those gotta-have-it, intense moments when your body is screaming FEED ME SUGAR. They are all great ways to satisfy that urge via healthier, lower glycemic options that even throw in a few extra vitamins and protein for satiety. Hope you enjoy them all!